Monday 26 October 2015

Vegan beany burgers

On Friday I needed to provide a Vegan meal for 3, only 1 was vegan but I had no intentions of cooking 2 different things. I was also feeling lazy and decided that burgers and chips would be fantastic.



Grate 2 decent size carrots, finely dice 1 large onion and sweat in a little oil till soft. I used coconut oil, as I had it.


Mash enough red kidney beans, I used 470 gm that I soaked and cooked a while ago. They were in the freezer and needed using up. Then mash the carrot and onion into the beans, adding your seasoning of choice. I used 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 2 tsp dried mixed herbs and a good grind of black pepper and a good pinch of  salt. I pressed scoops of the mixture into burger shapes and then rolled in gram flour to coat. This helps them to hold their shape as I did not use egg to bind them.


 Put them in the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up.

Then I fried them gently in more coconut oil for about 4 minutes on each side, the chips went in to my Air Fryer for 25 minutes. I went the whole hog and served Mushy Peas on the side, Oh Yum
3 empty plates, I only had 1 as I was having chips.

There are many different versions of this recipe out there, I vary the beans and the veg, grated courgette and red onion is a good mix. Baked beans with the sauce washed off are equally as good. If I use chick peas from a tin I tend to drain and rinse then boil for 5 minutes or so in fresh water to soften them up.


I do make these smaller and serve with salad and warm flatbreads with cucumber, mint and yoghurt dressing.

Enjoy.
Pam

1 comment:

  1. I have random tins of beans in my cupboard left over from uber health kick days, I now am going to make be any burgers for tea with them.

    ReplyDelete